Tastes like a Meadow

Ptoooie! I’d spit, if I were the spittin’ type. I’m so ticked off at the girl right now. I’ve been simmering beef for French Dip all day. The house had the glorious smell of onions and yes you vegetarians — meat! I’ve been hungry since about 11am, anticipating the sandwiches we’ll have for dinner.

I ran out for about half and hour to take the boy for an allergy check up and when we got back the house had been fumigated. The girl — and I don’t know WHAT got into her head — had sprayed Febreze in Country Meadow or some such floral fantasy so thick throughout the house that IT’S ALL I CAN TASTE.

It smells like a nursing home on visiting day. It’s like church, when you’re in the heavily perfumed old ladies’ section. It’s floral, with an aerosol overtone. It makes me want to fry some fish and smoke a cigar because NO ONE WOULD KNOW.

If that stuff has tainted the taste of my French Dip, I’m going out and I know a little girl who’s BUYING MY DINNER.

7 Responses to Tastes like a Meadow

1. Susan says:

In my house, I cook meat to cover up the floral scent!

2. Dwight says:

One man’s carniverous drool smell is another man’s soup-wiff, I guess.

Gosh. A French Dip sounds devine right about now. I can close my eyes and smell that hearty bullion wafting over my face. Mmmmm.

I charged upstairs and pointed to my offspring in turn. YOU–windows. YOU–attic fan. I then checked the bottle of GACK! to see the exact name of the offending scent. Garden Orchard. Ye gods.

By dinner the Dip smell was back enough. The sandwiches were divine, D.

Strangely, later, I had a hankering for sugared orange slices.

4. Maria says:

My mother had an expression for that. “Damn it ALL!!,” I believe it went.

5. Ma Jaggers says:

It would have been fine if she did it at my house. Of course the girl can do no wrong in my eyes!!!!

Gah! Horrifying. Meat is always preferable to Garden Orchard. Blech.

7. Danielle says:

Matt does that to me all the time — I swear the stuff smells worse than the offending smell — but Matt also says my smeller is broken and that I don’t smell anything anyway.

D-