Letter to Kroger

Dear Kroger,

We’re leaving. After several months of trying to make it work, we’re going back up the street to our first love. Oh sure, it seemed like we were saving money, driving a few extra miles to go to you. We got comfortable with your layout once we figured out where everything was, and even moved our prescriptions to your pharmacy. You never learned our names, though; never asked how we were when we were sick. The other guys did. Every time.

Before we go, we have a few questions. What is the deal with your produce? It’s absolutely terrible. Food Lion has a more appealing display. Frankly, the only reason we’re not going to Food Lion is the lack of a pharmacy and the lack of selection. Your store is only a small step above. Whomever is in charge of keeping your produce rotated and fresh is seriously falling down on the job. We recommend replacing them before you lose more customers.

Secondly, we cannot understand why shelves are being restocked during the store’s busiest periods. Every Saturday morning, navigating your aisles is extremely difficult with pallets and employees crowding the entire store. We have never experienced this in any other grocery store.

We appreciate the “efforts” you’ve made. But please know that a fantastic wine selection and a Starbucks does not make up for a filthy restroom and unfriendly staff members. Today, the overwhelming scent of the store was more “dirty diaper” than “bakery fresh.”

Finally, we want you to know that your bakery and deli crew are great, and the selection and help there has been exemplary. We’ll miss that, where we’re going, but have a hunch that overall, we’re about to have a much better shopping experience.

You can probably guess where we’re off to — the high-end grocery up the street, the one with a serious focus on customer service and gourmet offerings. We appreciate the gourmet offerings, the online shopping with curbside pickup, but probably won’t take advantage of these. We’ll be shopping the sales and working the customer loyalty program, enjoying the atmosphere and the caring associates. We’ll smile when the cart guy tells us unfailingly to “have a blessed day,” and when the pharmacist calls and asks first, “are you feeling any better?” before telling me when my prescription will be ready.

We’re taking our $200 per week grocery bill plus the roughly $50 a month in prescriptions up the road. It’s the best way to get our message across.

We’re pretty sure with careful shopping, it’s not going to cost us any more. We’ll be buying more fresh food and produce at the other store, which might raise the cost a bit, but we’ll be eating healthier and the food will certainly taste better. We’re shopping closer to home and will pay attention to what’s on sale; planning our meals around the specials.

Goodbye, Kroger. We do hope that you’re able to clean up your act.

Sincerely,

STLWorking Mom and Family

8 Responses to Letter to Kroger

1. Dave Donohue says:

Marijean,

Your open letters never fail to crack me up.

In this case, I also deduced that Harris Teeter offers curbside pickup, which makes your post the most practical of any I’ve read in recent memory!

I agree. I used to shop at the Krogers in Barracks and Hydraulic both of which have recently undergone significant renovations. Unfortunately the renovations at Hydraulic are strictly in the outside appearance (the Barracks Kroger, I dont think that has reopened). The staff is as surly as ever, the produce as yucky and the store as dirty. My father talks about Kroger as the place to shop in the late ’80s (before Giant & Harris Teeter)- sadly this is no longer the case. Glad to know I am not the only one digusted.

3. maiaoming says:

The only thing about Harris Teeter is the unfantastic parking/driving hell of Barracks Road… and some of the shoppers are QUITE proud of themselves for affording it -though this is not as bad as some of the folks at Whole Foods.

Kroger does have a good selection of veg options, better than Food Lion.

I hope they see your open letter!

4. Kroger is my least favorite C’ville grocery store. I never shop there anymore, and divide my trips between Harris-Teeter and Giant. The Mill Creek Food Lion isn’t too bad. I go there for quick trips.

5. Dan Kachur says:

Yay! While I would strongly prefer you shop at Whole Foods (especially since you don’t seem to mind horrific parking), Kroger is a complete and total abomination.

6. Amy says:

We recently went over to the Harris Teeter side after years of thinking it was for “rich” people. But then they built one about a block from our house. Yeah, if you shop it right, it’s not that much more money, and God, the quality, cleanliness and details can’t be beat. Right there with ya – just in another part of the state.

7. Fed-Up3 says:

I’m glad to see other people see Kroger for what they really are and not just me. Between my wife and myself we have 16 scripts filled monthly. Kroger at Hydraulic lost our business about 6 months ago. Rude, rude people, all except one. The fools we were we had all of them transferred to the RIO store. Bigger mistake These non-caring people are about to loose out again. I also spend another $300 monthly on food that they are about to loose as well. I remember the 70 and 80’s and yes when they were competing with Safeway Kroger was the store to shop at. If customer service is what you want H.T. is the store for you. They will shower you with kindness and friendship.May I borrow the term–GOOD BYE Kroger

8. Pingback: STLWorkingMom » Blog Archive » Kroger dismay continues . . .