Outing the Lurkers

At Blogher, (and I promise I’ll stop writing about it soon) one of the speakers talked about “outing the lurkers” on your site. It’s not as aggressive as it sounds because what the speaker was really talking about is inviting your readers to speak up.

Now, this is a blog that began for the St. Louis audience, as an extension of the writing I was doing about shopping and the like for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. It began and still is, primarily a personal blog where I attempt to share what I’ve learned as a working mom and as a PR professional, to those who happen to stop by for a read.

And sometimes it’s just to share something hilarious that happened with the kids.

So, to the readers, commenters and lurkers alike, what would you like to see in this space?

7 Responses to Outing the Lurkers

Personally, I enjoy your blog just as it is. No improvement needed. 🙂

2. Kathy says:

I outed myself a couple weeks ago, but I’ve done that a few times myself: ending a post with a question to encourage readers, inviting them to speak up. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. I know from my own experience that when I read blog comments that look as though there’s already a close-knit group formed around the blogger, I’m not as comfortable leaving my own.

3. Sarabeth says:

My first thought when I read this post was that what you post is fine, varied, and interesting. For personal blogs, it is the personality behind the writing that keeps the reader and lurker returning. Would it be yours if others began dictating what you would write? Probably, you’re personality would still shine through, but it’s what in your mind that I want–not the topics of others.

Kathy had a great point about commenting on blogs with an established community. That’s how I feel at times. We must remind ourselves that blogs are public thus allowing all voices to be heard. Let’s all stop being timid.

4. Selfmademom says:

I agree with Jennifer and I agree with you on the “lurkers”- it amazes me that people read but don’t comment. But I stopped worrying about it so much because what can I do about it??

5. Dwight says:

1. You maintain your “contract” with your visitors. That is to say, you post regularly.

2. You share enough insight into your personal life to be real without opening yourself up to the creepies.

3. Some of your posts are warm. Some of them are funny. All of them are well crafted.

Marijean, what more could I ask for? Longer posts?

6. Marriage-101 says:

I like you just the way you are 😉

7. zuzu says:

I agree with everyone else. Love it, love you. My favorites are posts about being a mom, not just a working mom or work-related items. But, that’s because I can relate to it, and, honestly, it’s like getting the time-honored Christmas letter with the family update and not having to wait until Christmas! 🙂