Pumpkin Penance

1. I didn’t buy the blue wig the FIRST time we saw one.
  2. You cannot buy a pumpkin in Charlottesville if you wait until Oct. 28. (and dudes, no — I am not driving to Ruckersville for a pumpkin.)
  3. I should have checked the Halloween costume box way before Oct. 28 to discover that the grim reaper getup exists only in my memory.
  4. I cannot sew. Particularly not between Oct. 28 and Oct. 31, 2007.
  5. I should not travel before/during any kid-important holiday. Or if I do, plan WAY ahead.

Worst. Mother. Ever. I found her in her room on the phone with giant cartoon tears rolling down her face. (Appropriate, actually since she’s going as an anime character.)

The good part? I remembered to buy candy and fashioned a costume out of four of the 41 black items of clothing I own.

I am forgiven.

11 Responses to Pumpkin Penance

1. Silvia says:

Well now you’ve got to post a photo of the costume! And I bet there are still pumpkins at Fashion Square. Or Harris Teeter.

2. Stefani says:

Wow.. can’t believe they run out of pumpkins. That’s crazy! There is no shortage here.

3. Maria says:

Don’t worry, I have pumpkin seeds coming out of my ears thanks to a client event involving the beloved fruit. I can send you a handful… If you start now, you’ll have a whole patch by next year!

4. Kristin says:

Oh, I’m so sorry Mj. It’s okay, she will forgive. I can’t wait for her to grow up and read this and see what you were thinking. She’ll love you even more and probably laugh đŸ˜‰

5. Jeannette says:

The last time I remember wearing a mom-made costume, she dressed me up as a bunch of grapes. I basically had purple balloons safety-pinned all over my shirt. It was fifth grade and I don’t remember feeling cool.

6. Sarabeth says:

Uh, Marijean, Ruckersville is not that far.

Sarabeth: it’s even closer for us up here near Hollymead Town Center. I’d just had it with running all over town and couldn’t see driving up there to find out they were out of them, too. We are making do with some minis and a fake one.

Marijean, if you must have a pumpkin to appease the Girl, you are welcome to one of ours. Just holler. And, no, there are no pumpkins at the Teeter at Barracks Road.

9. Susan says:

I know you have a Whole Foods in Cville. I’m certain they still have organic pumpkins around. For only $20 (or two arms and a leg), you can own one of those delightful gourds.

10. Mistie says:

I also unfortunately discovered that if you wait until Oct. 30 to buy Halloween party plates, you’ll be running all over town. I had to knock down an old lady at the Schnucks in Wildwood to get the last two packages in West County. đŸ˜›

Screw the pumpkin. We’re making do with minis. Also, the girl looks completely weird in her costume (she’s happy about this). And Mistie? At least it wasn’t a nun.