Pie #2: Banana Cream Pie

The second pie in the Life of Pie project was Banana Cream, as requested by my daughter, who loves bananas. You can’t really tell from the photo, but beneath that real whipped cream and crushed Butterfinger top lies an aberration. This pie was a failure. I am not sure where it all went wrong, but the filling refused to thicken. I figured well, maybe it will set in the five recommended hours in the fridge. No such luck.

Undeterred, I spread the whipped cream over the top, landing glops in the muck that were like glaciers in semi-frigid water. I added the banana layer then carefully piped the rest of the whipped cream in a very fancy manner over the top. Then, I made my biggest mistake: I moved the pie from the counter to the table for photographic purposes.

Apparently, I went a little too fast because the pie innards SPLOOSHED right out onto the floor and, unfortunately, my shoe.

Forensic evidence:

The trajectory of the whipped cream and pie filling was impressive.

It took some time to clean up and mop and Clover, a dog who is apparently disinterested in pie, was no help whatsoever.

I recovered from my giggling fit long enough to reassemble, add the Butterfinger topping and photograph the pie.

Later, my family, God bless ’em, ate the mess out of bowls with spoons. Hereafter, we’ll call this pie “Banana Cream Soup,” because that’s what it was.

I learned something else with this pie failure. I’ve developed an allergy to bananas. As I ate my mouth burned and itched. A few years ago I developed an allergy to walnuts and it’s much the same experience as when I eat foods with walnuts in them. I avoid walnuts now and will do so with bananas going forward. I’m no stranger to food allergies. I was allergic to all dairy products until I was 12 or so. So sadly, I won’t be making this pie again and bananas have now been added to my “do not eat” list.

8 Responses to Pie #2: Banana Cream Pie

1. jennifer says:

wow you and pies do not equal heaven. So amusing…thanks for sharing.

2. Mama says:

I do believe that is the saddest story about pie I have ever read.

3. abunslife says:

Oh no, bananas were the beginning of my tree fruit allergies…..now I can’t eat apples, peaches, nectarines, etc. Be careful! Mine came on pretty fast. Sorry your pie ended up being soup instead!

4. Elizabeth says:

Butterfinger top? Seems strange considering the pies are homemade- whipped cream and all.

Well, at least it sounds like it was still edible! (To everyone but you!) Did you ever find the lard? Better luck with the next pie…

5. zuzu says:

I love your stories and how you can laugh at yourself. What good is a dog that won’t clean that stuff up? I’ve never been a fan of bananas anyway, so no loss, IMHO.

6. Beth says:

What a brave kind family you have. Mine would have rejected the soupy center and I would have been eating it by myself. . . in the corner. . . by myself.

7. Jeannette says:

Green Beans are at the top of my Do Not Eat list. Not because I’m allergic, but because they’re disgusting.

The only thing I’m allergic to is poison ivy and I’ve never eaten it. Although, when I was about five, I thought it would be fun to pretend to take a bath in a baby pool… using the leaves as the wash cloth. Very early the next morning we found out I am highly allergic to poison ivy.

8. Susan says:

Yikes! Was it even close to banana pudding? Still edible I say. Sorry it didn’t turn out but since you found out you’ve developed an allergy to bananas from it, at least you won’t have to worry about perfecting it now. On and ever forward as they say!