Five Ways to Get Over Your Kid Who’s Left for College
- Throw yourself into work. If you don’t work, find a hobby and follow it obsessively. If you do work, pick up or renew a hobby. You will have time.
- Clean his/her room. The debris they’ve left behind will remind you why you’re glad they’re not around to make more.
- Note how much less laundry you’re doing. Note that there are clean towels in the linen closet AT THE END OF THE WEEK.
- Instead of merely saving money on the grocery bill, buy some wine, some expensive cheeses and any food the kid steadfastly would not eat and that you rather enjoy. Also buy his/her favorite foods and enjoy eating them yourself without having them disappear overnight.
- Focus your attention on your remaining at-home children. If you don’t have these, focus on your spouse. If no spouse, when was the last time you called your parents? Orphaned? Jeez, go make a friend.