Saying Goodbye to Grandma Ruby

Goodbye to Grandma Ruby

You may have noticed I’ve been a little quiet here, lately. In real life, events take place that don’t get shared on this blog. It becomes difficult to write, because what’s most on my mind, is not something I’m sharing online. We were also away; off the grid for a few days.

We were saying goodbye to Grandma Ruby, my husband’s grandmother, who passed away several weeks ago, but the memorial was just this Saturday past.

I snapped the photo above of our two kids walking to the service together. They’re dressed up. They’re walking together. It’s a rarity so I captured the image to share.

I don’t write about these events on my blog because they’re private, personal. I have a responsibility to honor the wishes of the rest of my family in this space. I will tell you this, though . . .

When I was born I had three living grandparents, the last of these passed away in the late 1990s when I was in my twenties.  Feeling sorry for me, my husband who, at the time and until he was in his thirties had four — a full set of living grandparents, “gave” me grandma Ruby. Grandma Ruby was mine from that point on. Having known her so long, she was as much my grandmother as my husband’s and so it was not so easy to say farewell.

I also don’t write about these events because I hate getting tears all over my keyboard.

I wanted you to know we’re back; all is well. We’ve said goodbye and we’re drying our faces. Moving on.

This entry was posted in Family. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Saying Goodbye to Grandma Ruby

1. Emarieg says:

What a beautiful photo – and story.

2. Veronica says:

My condolences Mj. Great pic and story.

3. I am so sorry. My condolences to you all.

4. Ry says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. 🙁

5. I’m so sorry Marijean. Very very blessed you’ve been to have enjoyed grandparents until this point in your life. I talk to friends whose grandies had passed before their birth and I feel sad for them to never have known them…. truly lucky to have had so many in your life sweetie. It’s just so damn hard to lose them when you love them so….

6. Jim says:

Marijean, I feel for you. I never had the opportunity to meet my grandfather(Mother’s side) since he was born in 1851! Stories are he was a great man. If he was anything like his wife I know he was. We are both very sorry for your loss. All our love, Jim and Nanette

7. {{{HUGS}}}
    I was also very lucky to have all 4 of my grandparents until just a few years ago (my upper 30’s). Then Grandpa H was gone in a car accident that really surprised us all. In the past year and a half both my grandmas have gone and I miss them so dearly still. Grandpa C is my last one and he isn’t in the best of health. I don’t know what I will do when they are all gone – it’s not fair for someone to not have any grandparents. The memories of them are what help me the most – I’m sure your memories of Grandma Ruby will help you and your family too.

8. Terry says:

I still have one grandparent left who is not in great health and I’m afraid of what will happen in the near future. Your family was very blessed to have Grandma Ruby in your lives for as long as you did. I’m sorry for your loss.

9. Saraj says:

When I was about four my grandma on my dad’s side died and my grandma on my mom’s side, who had been widowed years before, adopted my grandpa on my dad’s side when he started getting calls from women wanting to take him out on dates. She told my cousins that she wanted them to have a grandpa and thought she found a pretty good one for them. This meant that I had to share MY grandpa with cousins on both sides of my family.. but that’s okay. He a few years ago from complications after a car accident, so now I just have gramma.

10. Jonet says:

What a lovely tribute to Mother. She always considered you one of her grandchildren. She loved you very much.

11. I’m so sorry for your loss, Marijean. It’s been 20+ years since I lost my beloved Nanna, and I still think about her often and miss her. Sending you virtual hugs – wish I could give you one in person.