Kayak Stolen in Charlottesville; Twitter Network Locates

Sometime late last week, someone (or more likely two someones), came into our gated back yard uninvited, and left with our kayak. My husband called me to ask if I’d lent the kayak to a friend, an unlikely but possible scenario. Sadly, I hadn’t and it was obvious that someone had stolen it.

For the first time since I’ve moved to Charlottesville my faith was shaken. I love where we live and have always felt safe, but this incident left me angry and feeling violated.

It took some effort for the thieves to remove the kayak — a tandem — it is long and heavy and would take two people to move and load it onto a vehicle to cart it away. You’d have to know us pretty well or have been hanging around our property to even know it was there. The forethought that went into the job unnerved me further.

Never one to keep information to myself, I tweeted to my network to let them know what was happening.

And then,  because I know what you like, I said this:

And within a couple of hours, one of the people who follow me on Twitter spotted it at Play it Again Sports, a used sporting goods store only three miles from my house. Unbelievably, it was definitely our kayak, complete with aftermarket updates we’d added.

In short, the story isn’t over — the police are involved, we don’t have our kayak back yet, but the store — and the police –  knows exactly who brought it to them and who was paid for the stolen merchandise.

I’m still plenty angry but grateful to my Twitter network for seeking justice on my behalf.

I hope to have another update for you in the next couple of days. In the meantime, I owe somebody a pie.

*Update

I have, indeed, baked a pie for Brenden Grace and his beautiful wife. It was an award-winning Peaches and Cream Pie. They ate it last night. Also? The perp has been apprehended. The kayak is in police custody. Paperwork is being filed and shuffled and . . . we’re planning a “Our Kayak’s Back” party upon its return.

Peaches and cream kayak pie

We may just call it Kayak Pie from now on.

This entry was posted in Charlottesville and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Kayak Stolen in Charlottesville; Twitter Network Locates

1. Emarieg says:

Oh man! I am so happy for you! One of the worst days of my life was the day I reached into my dresser drawer for a favorite piece of gold jewelry and realized it was gone – along with every piece of jewelry (some that was made especially for me) that my husband had given me over the last 30 years. I would give anything to be able to extract revenge from the low life that stole my stuff and I can only imagine how great it feels to know where to direct your anger. HOORAY for twitter folks!!!

2. Awesome! I’m so glad they caught them! I actually asked Marc if Play It Again would make people sign for money paid for used goods and he was certain they did. I’m so glad that’s the case. What jerks!

3. Sara says:

Wow how stupid!
    How could they think they’d get away with that? I guess they figured you’d have no idea where to look but…. Yay to your network.

Back when I lived in NJ one of my kayaks vanished. The police found it at the back of my rental property stuck in the mud.

There was waterfront but it wasn’t dredged. And they failed to take a paddle.

4. mary says:

OMG! I remember reading something about the theft on your facebook, but since I don’t twitter I didn’t know the orange color details. As I drove past Play It Again Sports on my way to Kroger last night the thought passed through my head – I wonder if that’s the kayak… Unfortunately the thought passed all the way through :-( but I am so glad a more alert reader/twitter-er was on the ball! Made me decide to haul my kayak out behind the shed instead of leaving it out for the world to see at the top of the driveway. I hate how it fills with ants and spiders and leaves though. Oh well, better to have a leafy buggy kayak than no kayak at all! Glad yours is returning to you soon.

5. Sara says:

Another thought – kayaks have serial numbers… make sure you take photos or at the very least record yours. I did… but only after it vanished the first time.

6. Marijean says:

Yep, we have photos, serial number, receipt, purchase verification from the store . . . .pretty much everything but the kayak itself in our possession.

7. So glad it was found!

8. Tricia says:

Excellent! I know how violated I felt when my house was robbed and the theives had pretty much emptied every drawer and shelf, and took whatever they could carry (luckily, that did not include my computer). The power of social networking is definitely at work!

BTW, if you don’t mind, can I use this as the topic of my next editorial? Our November issue is all about new technologies for education and this story will make a PERFECT lead-in! :-)

9. Marijean says:

Yes, Tricia – you can absolutely use this story — I have kayak photos too, if you’re interested!

10. Pingback: Tweeting for Help: Using Twitter in an Emergency Can Work « Marijean Jaggers

11. Sarah Grace says:

I owe you a pie dish, (very licked clean I assure you!) Maybe we can meet sometime next week? Also, I spelled “genius” incorrectly in my tweet! Eeek! It’s okay, my misspelling doesn’t make it any less true. ;)
    So so glad you are getting it back. Sucks to be those guys right now, I’m sure.

12. Pingback: Love what you do – scmorgan

13. This is a wonderful story that shows once again the power of social media can be an amazing communication tool! I loved reading it and its good to see so many good people exist in the world.

I will be curious to hear about the thief once all is said and done.

14. Pingback: #Kayakgate | Gamma Ray Media