Breaking up with St. Louis

At the end of this month I will no longer be the St. Louis Working Mom.

I moved to Charlottesville, Va. at the end of 2005 and continued the job I loved based in St. Louis, Mo., where we’d lived for 17 years. Many of you followed along as a I transitioned to working at home and to living in Charlottesville — a smaller town — after life in the “big city.”

Turns out, I’ve now been blogging in Charlottesville longer than I did in St. Louis.

As I continued to work for the firm in Missouri, I traveled there pretty regularly — sometimes once a month — and was connected to St. Louis daily through phone calls, a VPN connection, e-mail and instant messenger. My head, during the work week, was often in the Midwest while I was physically on the east coast.

It got to be too much. I gave my notice a few weeks ago and will not be employed by a company 760 miles away; instead, I’m starting my own business here in Charlottesville.I agonized over this decision — tears were cried — I don’t think I’ve ever left a job without crying buckets, but in addition to mourning the workplace relationships, I’m finally breaking off the date-nights I had with St. Louis a dozen or so times a year. I will miss it so much . . .  but look forward to future visits to the ‘Lou with my family — for fun.

Sorry, St. Louis — it’s not you, it’s me.

Jaggers Communications LLC will open for business on January 3, 2011. I’m pretty excited about what this means for me as a professional communicator, a wife, a mother and a member of the Charlottesville community.

What’s going to happen to this blog?! If I had to guess, something to do with pie — stay tuned for a re-branding effort.

And St. Louis? I hope we can still be friends.

This entry was posted in Charlottesville. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Breaking up with St. Louis

1. Soccer Mom says:

I am so happy for you! You are going to be awesome…and I’m totally pulling for you! Congrats!

2. Kathy G says:

Good luck to you!

3. Justin L says:

Yesterday, I finally caught up on e-mail and saw something from you about this. Was going to ask if it was public yet, which is now apparent. Congrats to you. I enjoyed working with you “in” St. Louis.

Congratulations!

5. Shawn says:

OMFG. OMFG.

You are my hero.

6. Mike murphy says:

Congrats MJ. Now maybe you’ll actually have time to come see my office when you DO come to town!

7. Raquita says:

NOOOOO!!!! *falls to knees reaching to the heavens* IT JUST CAN’T BE!!!! *sobs uncontrollably*

Um.. wait. the above tantrum is only cause someone from ST. Louis HAD to voice our disdain for losing you completely, The below happy dance is for how proud we are that you are rockin it in your new hometown!

**insert celebratory booty dance***

8. Congratulations! I’m so excited for you and happy for all the good things I know this will bring you.

9. Kim says:

Congratulations, Marijean. I’m sure it was a tough decision, but Charlottesville is very lucky to now have you full time. I hope I get to send some folks your way.

10. Diane says:

WOW…. can’t wait to hear about all your new adventures! I know you will succeed at anything you try! Congrats

11. Melissa says:

First of all.. this doesn’t surprise me in the least… because you, in fact; are amazing!!! Congrats to you!!! From one St. Louis working mom to another (ok well another former…) you are the BEST!!!!!

12. Huge congrats! You won’t regret it…often. I’ll alert the media. Wait, that’s your job. I’ll open the Champagne.

13. Emarieg says:

Oh man. You ROCK, MJ!

14. Dave K says:

MJ, congrats! I wish you the best as you forge out on your own. Cheers!

15. Congrats lady! Starting a new biz isn’t easy, but rewarding. Let us know if you are interested in doing some main stream marketing! We are the best in Cville! 🙂

16. Congratulations! I have no doubt that you will indeed be successful.

Just the other day, though, I was thinking, “Wonder how long MJ will be STLWorking Mom? Is it just too hard to change over to a new name?” Coincidence? Probably. 🙂

Love you! And thank heaven for the internet and your blog. Makes the break not quite so tough.

17. Marijean, onward and upward! Best wishes, and look out, world!

18. Marijean says:

Thanks Whitney — love your videos!

19. Marijean says:

Once you choose a domain name, you’re pretty much stuck with it, so I will stick with the same URL but rebrand the site name, look, etc. And I am hoping not to lose my 50 percent traffic from Missouri with the switch!

20. Marijean says:

Thanks Catherine.

21. Marijean says:

Thank you Dave – it’s going to be a fun ride.

22. Randee says:

I recently made a similar decision…love my job, love my coworkers…but for the last 7 months I’ve been on call 15 nights a month…literally half of my life spent at the hospital’s beck and call…if the phone rang, no matter the time of day or night, I was expected to be there in 30 minutes. It got to be too much. There are always tears, but at the same time, it is exciting to look forward to something new. Change can be difficult, but I love it. In fact, if I do the same thing too long, I look for something new. It is good to shake things up. Best of luck. I know you will do wonderful with your own business. Congratulations! Love every minute of your new adventure…even the rough minutes!

23. Big Sis says:

You were born to be a business owner! You’ll do great.